Saturday, April 28, 2012

What Makes a Good Teacher?


Being a teacher is not accidental, but a true calling. Or otherwise, I will be miserable everyday doing things that I did not dream of doing. This job requires knowledge, creativity, and patience. In college, we were required to pass 30 units of education classes aside from the majors, while the most crucial stage was to pass the in-campus practice teaching so that we will be assigned for an out-campus practice teaching. We have to go through rigid and critical glass lenses of our Ed-teachers, including recommendations from cooperating teachers off campus. When everything are satisfactory, including our academic record, then we will be recommended for graduation. 

The certificate we received upon graduation would not really count until we passed the Li censure Examination for Teachers (LET) from the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC). It became a requirement that teachers need to be certified and must pass the test. I am saying all these because I would like to account the time we spent to acquire this degree prior to landing a job in the classroom and therefore,    
I thought that these whole process played a major role in the making of a good teacher. 

While learning is a lifetime process, as a teacher we don't allow ourselves to be stagnant and become stereotyped. Getting a master's degree is one way of keeping ourselves abreast with what are new in our field, and I don't believe that this isn't helping us become a good teacher, because I myself, have used in the classroom some of the things I learned from the units I took for my initial master's degree classes.



So what makes a good teacher? Yes, I agree with the video above but to add on the idea is the real passion for job. If you are passionate about teaching the students in your class, then creativity, enthusiasm, and everything will just follow. Your energy towards making your students learn will be endless.

Hats off to all the great teachers!

No comments:

Post a Comment